Saturday, November 15, 2014

Pumpkin Unit Week Three


Question of the Day

How do you think a pumpkin grows? On a tree or On a vine.


Have you ever been to a pumpkin patch?

Centers
Art
Halloween Rubbing Plates - I didn't get a picture of this! I'm so sad. I can't remember where I bought these rubbing plates, but they are cute and my kids love them. 


Sensory Table - Pumpkins
Since we are studying pumpkins this month, I put pumpkins in the sensory table. The students used spoons, tweezers and magnifying glasses to explore the insides of the pumpkins. I also put out cups so they could separate the seeds from the pulp. 




The next day, I added toy hammers and nails. The kids hammered the nails into the pumpkins.





On the last day, I added Halloween Mr. Potato Head pieces so the kids could make silly faces on the pumpkins. 








Pop up Pirate
Fun game that I bring out in October to go with the Halloween theme/vibe. I attempted to make the game a little more educational by writing numbers on the swords and a spinner. The children take turns spinning the spinner, then located a sword that has that number on it. 





Small Groups/Teacher-Directed Centers
Math- Feed the Monster Shapes
Kids flip over a card and feed the monster the shape on the card. 





Literacy- Where's the Bat?
My students love this game. I hide a bat under one of the pumpkins while they have their eyes closed. Then they take turns naming a letter to locate the bat. 


This game is available at my TPT store here

Write the Room - Pumpkins
I dicut some pumpkins and wrote letters on them. Then I taped them around the room. The students had to walk around the room, find the pumpkins, and color the corresponding pumpkin on their clipboard. 







Lesson
Life Cycle of a Pumpkin
Students color, cut, and sequence the life cycle of a pumpkin. Then we hang them from the ceiling.







Pumpkin Patch Field Trip
We had enough money this year to go on a field trip! My students loved our local pumpkin patch. 













No comments:

Post a Comment