Monday, October 13, 2014

Pumpkin Unit Week 1 & 2

During the month of October the preschoolers are studying pumpkins! This is one of my favorite units because the kids are very curious about pumpkins and love all of the activities.

Question of the Day

Pumpkin Unit - Day one


Pumpkin Unit - Day 2
On the first day of the Pumpkin Unit I taught the students that pumpkins are shaped like circles and ovals. So this is an assessment question to see if the students learned those two target vocabulary words. 


Pumpkin Unit - Day 3


We also started tracing names this month. I dotted all of the students names onto a sentence strip and laminated them. Every day the student finds their name, traces it with an expo marker, and uses that to answer Question of the Day. Then we wipe the names clean and use them again the next school day. We do this for about a month, or until I feel the students are ready to begin writing their name from a model. We also teach correct letter formation while they are tracing their names. 




Centers
Art - This week for art we had stamps. The first day I just put out stamps and blank white paper. The second day I added markers and stamp markers. I usually add ABC stamps on the third day, but my students just weren't very excited about stamps, so I decided to change it to dot art.





Then I switched to dot art. I bought these Halloween themed dot art pictures on Teacher Pay Teachers last year. My students really love them. 



Blocks - I put away the trains and brought out zoo animals and people. The students used blocks to make cages for the animals and set up a zoo. 



Manipulatives - I added the manipulative center this week. These are toys that the students work use to work together and build something. The first toy in our manipulative center is Wedgits. I bought these a few years ago after another preschool teacher recommended them. Such a simple toy, but my students love them. 




Sensory Table - I also added the sensory table this week. I saw this idea on Pinterest a few years ago, and I've always wanted to try it. I put construction paper into the sensory table with scissors and let the kids practice snipping and cutting. The first day I had construction paper, normal scissors, craft scissors, and markers. The students drew lines and shapes and practiced cutting them out.



The second day I added hole punches that were all different shapes. The students loved punching the paper into different animals and objects. 



On the last day I put some extra book orders that I had leftover in the table. Students cut out around the pictures. They liked this, but I think next year I will put sticker pages into the sensory table and have them cut out stickers they want and let them keep them. I think this will make the activity more popular and motivating. 




Small Groups/Teacher Directed Centers
Math - We are continuing to work on shapes, and plan on doing that for the rest of the month. We played Pumpkin Shape Bingo.


Here's a link to download Pumpkin Shape Bingo

Literacy - 
Swat a Monster: Students take turns rolling a dice, finding the letter on the monster's stomach, swatting the monster, and turning it over. They keep playing until all the monsters are turned over. If they roll a letter that is already turned over, I just had them pass it to the next person. 



iPads: Searching for letters on the iPads




Pumpkin Fishing: Students use a fishing pole to pull a pumpkin out of the cauldron. Then they find the letter written on the back of the pumpkin on their pumpkin printable and either trace it or color it. 








Here's a link to download this game

Pumpkin Unit
Students use ripped construction paper to create a picture of their pumpkin. 








Students use unifix cubes to measure how tall their pumpkin is







Students explore the inside of a pumpkin and make a pumpkin book.








If you like these activities, please check out my Pumpkin Unit available for purchase here at Teachers Pay Teachers. 





































No comments:

Post a Comment